Sunday, March 20, 2011

Plumeria Blossoms

[This is a work of fiction.]

He was the least romantic person anyone could imagine. It was obvious he cared. But would it have absolutely killed him to make a romantic gesture sometimes? Like bringing me flowers.
"But I know nothing about flowers", he told me when I stopped hinting and demanded.
"Any flower is better than no flowers", I replied tartly.
For our Anniversary, he brought me a plumeria plant. One measly flower. I hid the cut-glass vase I'd taken out, and pretended I loved it.

He knew what he was doing. He's no longer in the world, but I still get flowers every month.

_____
drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

14 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Lovely photo.
I think every woman has felt this at some time.
Though I'm not sure what is meant by 'he's no longer in the world.' That's kinda scary. ;0)

Anonymous said...

Chilling ending! Lovely shot.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

wow look at this, you redesigned your blog! Very nice!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

How sad. He did try!

Unknown said...

Maybe he didn't know but in the end, he was romantic. Super story. Love the flower.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Yes, gorgeous flower! I assume it blooms every year?

Anonymous said...

Rayna - What a wonderful story of a gift that serves as a permanent reminder. I love it!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The gift that keeps on giving, eh?

Sue said...

Lovely photo to go with the touching drabble. My hubby gave me an unromantic orange tree - the bugs love it, and nibble the leaves voraciously. I am yet to enjoy either blossom or fruit.

Sue said...

Rayna, I've received an award, and would like to forward it to you.
http://traverselife.blogspot.com/2011/03/who-me-stylish.html

Shalet Jimmy said...

I never got any flowers...hmmm...

Sueann said...

A true love story for sure!!!
Hugs
SueAnn

dipali said...

Lovely, and poignant!

Suzanne said...

What a nice story. Our Plumerias will be blooming soon, and I'll think of this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails