Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The greatest gift


“But I can’t do it”, my son told me.
“Of course you can.” I didn’t particularly want him to jump off branch, but even less did I want him to walk away from a challenge he set for himself.
“Are you sure?”
“Yes!”
He closed his eyes, pushed himself off, and landed perfectly on his feet.
“How did you know I could do it?”, he asked me much later.
“Because my parents taught me that if you believe you can do something, you can do it”, I told him.
The greatest gift a parent can give a child is self-belief.

3 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Totally agree! Self Belief is SO important - especially in our world today! :)

Chuck said...

Super post Natasha, so many parents miss this simple life-building lesson. Glad to see you're back and writing again. I have missed your drabbles! Hope all is well.

Natasha said...

@ Jemi - thank you. Yes, it is super important isn't it- whether it is parents who gift it or teachers (or both), that is one thing kids cannot do without.

@ Chuck - thanks for asking. Been super, super, super busy. But realized that not blogging is not saving me all that much time. Hope to be back again. Just taking it one day at a time. I'll drop by soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails