Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My child just doesn't read


“My child just doesn’t read”, I hear parents complain. “I buy so many books, but she’s just not interested.”

I used to feel almost guilty about my son’s voracious appetite for books, till I realised he hadn’t been miraculously ‘blessed’ with the love for reading- he had merely inherited it from his mother.

“Which was the last book you read?”, I’ve now started asking. If they can remember that far back, it is usually the name of a potboiler or a self-help book they give me.

How can you teach kids to love books if you don’t love them yourself?

4 comments:

Chuck said...

Leading by example is a parents best gift...or for some, their worst nightmare!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Leading by example is key! And also by helping kids find books that they find interesting--sometimes they need our help. :)

Sueann said...

So true...so true.
Hugs
SueAnn

Natasha said...

@ Chuck- it is what you make of it, isn't it?

@ Elizabeth - they definitely do. But if you can give them that gift, do you need to give them anything else?


@ SueAnn- thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails