Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Because we want them to be so?


“But what makes a flower beautiful?”, my younger one asked.

‘What’, he had said, not ‘why’, and that got me thinking. Everybody agrees that flowers are beautiful but what makes them so? It can’t be the colour- because I think many orange flowers are beautiful, though I can’t stand the colour. The shape of the petals are attractive, but aren’t many petals shaped no different from leaves? It could be the placement of the whorls, but isn’t it the economy of lines that gives an anthurium its unique beauty?

Maybe flowers are beautiful because we want them to be so?

2 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

What a lovely question!

Now I need to go outside and take a look at my various flowers and see them from a different point of view.

Natasha said...

@ Patricia- thank you for stopping by. And strangely, flowers become even more beautiful when you start questioning why they are so.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails