Saturday, February 27, 2010

A nation of entrepreneurs

The other day, I met someone from London who told me that Indians are by nature entrepreneurial. I rejected that observation outright- I grew up in a nation where a government job was the ultimate prize in life, and grew into a nation where a job with an MNC is the most coveted employment opportunity.
Then I looked around. Saw this boy sitting on the rubble of a road being dug up for repairs and selling vegetables.
Could it happen anywhere but in India?

I guess we are a nation of entrepreneurs.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo. I guess you have to have an entrepreneurial spirit to survive...

Ann Elle Altman said...

Nope, you're not alone. WE have people standing on every street corner waiting for the traffic light to turn red and then they sell us their wares. If it's a rainy day, it's wiper blades. If it's a sunny day, it's sun protectors or bottles of water or orange juice. But, I love their ingenuity. The Mexicans, they work so hard.

ann

Natasha said...

@ Fiona - thanks. and it is a welcome change from begging, which was what most of the poor people used to do till not too long back

@ Ann - Mexicans seem very similar to Indians, the way you describe them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails