Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Crayons

Can anything be more magical than a box of crayons? You have only to slide it open, for creations real and imaginary to tumble forth.

Fish with multicoloured scales swimming in invisible ponds. Astronauts taking a walk among the planets. Rainbows dashing across the sky, finding a home in a pot of gold. Bright yellow suns with smiley faces lighting up hilly landscapes. Lions with spiky hair posing beneath apple trees. Fire-breathing dragons protecting beautiful maidens.

Don’t be taken in by its size- the entire universe is contained in a box of crayons. It needs only imagination to release it.


____

Drabble (n) - an extremely short work exactly one hundred words in length. The purpose of the drabble is brevity and to test the author's ability to express interesting and meaningful ideas in an extremely confined space.

8 comments:

Faith Pray said...

I love your crayons post, as you knew I would! So vibrant, and so true! Imagination is such a gift!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful - and so true! The world is a box of crayons, if only we would look hard enough...

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Great point! I love crayons...even the smell of them takes me back to a creative childhood!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

The Old Silly said...

Mmm, yes ... anything from scribbles to graffiti to exquisite Rembrandts are possible, hmm?

Marvin D Wilson

Lance said...

Here's to making our world brighter and more colorful with bright shiny colors! Awesome!

Natasha said...

@ Faith - You are right, I knew you would like the post :-)

@ Fiona - it is, isn't it?

@ Elizabeth - and here I was thinking I was the only one who felt that way.

@ Marvin - I have the entire range on my walls, and I love them all (even if I did pretend to yell at the kids when they scribbled on the wall the first time).

@ Lance - thank you. It was your post on Crayons last week that prompted me to write this one.

Ann Elle Altman said...

I love crayons. I don't play with them as much as we should. I think we would be great writers if we just went back some days to the simple times of being a kid on the floor with crayons. I would give us a different perspective.

ann

Natasha said...

@ Ann - I've got two kids (6 and 4), so end up playing with crayons (and clay) a lot more than I would otherwise have been doing. And it is great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails