Friday, February 19, 2010

I didn't get any chocolate

The large slab of chocolate I knew I had stored in the fridge had shrunk to half its size (I blamed a monster, but knew it was really the hubby), and when I divided it, both kids got much less chocolate than they normally did.
“Is that all?”, the four year old asked.
“At least you’ve three pieces”, I replied. “I didn’t get any.” I pretended to be upset.
“Take this”, he said thrusting a piece of chocolate into my mouth.
“Thank you so much, my darling”, I said, giving him a hug. “I don’t really want it. You have it.”
“No, you should have this”, he insisted, and didn’t leave till I took a tiny bite.

There are times when he exasperates me. Times when he makes me wonder what I did wrong to produce someone as obstinate as he. Times when I despair of ever getting him to do what I think is right.
But when he does something like this, my heart melts. I know that as long as I give him all the love he deserves, he will grow-up to be a decent human being. And in the ultimate analysis, isn't that the only thing that really matters?


Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Aw, that is really sweet!

Jan Morrison said...

Yes, yes it is. And I'd say the compassionate apple didn't fall far from the compassionate tree!

dipali said...

What a darling! And ditto Jan:)

Ann Elle Altman said...

What a lovely picture. Your son is so cute. I go through the same with my son too. And my husband for that matter. But, It's nice to be surprised.

OH, and I hate to say it, Rayna, but you do writing everyday. I read it every morning and think it's wonderful. Why don't you write everyday? Is it the time? Inspiration?

ann

Stacy Post said...

It is because you've showed him the same kindness that his spirit shines for you. What a blessing!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Anybody who shares his chocolate is a really special person!) He sounds like a very loveable little boy.

Elspeth Futcher said...

That's the marvelous thing about children, isn't it? What a lovely story. I now deal with grumpy teenagers. In some ways, it's easier when they're small.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Having a child grow up to be a kind, honest and decent human being is a blessing. And any child who shares his chocolate with his mom is headed in the right direction. He's a darling, and that photo is precious.

Natasha said...

@ Diane - thanks, and welcome to the blog.

@ Jan/ Dipali - now, don't make me blush! I'm sure I wouldn't want to share a piece of chocolate even now.

@ Ann - it is wonderful when you are surprised, isn't it? And when I say I don't write everyday, I mean real writing. Blogging has become a habit, and I normally write it out in my head while travelling, and just type it out later. But I just can't seem to make time for real writing :-(

@ Stacey- it is a blessing, isn't it?

@ Jane - he is. And that's what keeps me going when he is driving me crazy.

@ Elspeth - now that I know how they are going to be in a few years time, I will cherish them even more now.

@ Patricia - thanks, I do love that photograph too. And

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails