Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Discover....

Jan Morrison at Crazy Jane has started what she calls the Friday Challenge. Every Friday, she's going to challenge her readers to do something different. Last Friday's Challenge was a walking quest - in her own imitable style, she asked us to "Get off ...(our)... duffs and walk somewhere", and bring something back to share (or not).
Since the world is round, and I am almost at the other end of it, I read about her challenge only on Saturday. Which was good, because though I walk a lot every day, it is only on Saturdays that I am not focussed on getting from Point A to Point B in the shortest possible time.

I hoped to find something new, something that challenged me. I even kept my camera at home, because I wanted to savour the experience of discovery without being constrained to view it from behind the lens.

I took a few roads that I had never taken before, but did not find anything that I hadn't seen before. But, what I did find was a government school that had just gotten over. What I saw were mothers and children. What I saw were children in uniforms. What I saw was one child being taken home on a bicycle by her grandfather.

I saw girls getting an education. I saw communities that would be transformed by the educated girls. I saw the future of my country. I saw the future of the world.
More than anything else, I saw smiles and hope. Could anyone ask for anything else?

8 comments:

Al said...

Indeed, smiles and hope. Nothing is more important.

Anonymous said...

Hope is indeed the thing with feathers that perches in our soul.. as Emily Dickinson put it.

What a marvellous thing to discover!

Natasha said...

@ Al - Quite agree.

@ Fiona - that is a wonderful quote. I really wanted to discover something similar to what you discover on your walks, quite forgetting I live in one of the most populated cities in the world:-(

Jan Morrison said...

Bravo dear woman! I think your photo of the child on the bike with her grandfather is most wonderful. I'm glad you looked because what you always find is your own good heart - and I know you are a political warrior inside like me. Let's keep on creating enlightened society one smile at a time.

Natasha said...

@ Jan - I love the term 'political warrior'. While just not into politics of any kind, I guess I am looking for change in society which does make me some kind of political warrior.
And I am so looking forward to your next Challenge.

Ann Elle Altman said...

I love the photo. I would love to see India some day. And eat really yummy food.

ann

Faith Pray said...

Thank you for the beautiful images. I loved what you came away with - hope, and seeing the future educated women of your country.

Natasha said...

@ Ann - India is a country full of contradictions. The good thing is that the older you get, the more you would be able to appreciate it, so there is really no hurry to get here :-)

@ Faith - thank you. I could have added Muslim women (because all the girls I saw were Muslim), but I'd go with just women.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails