Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pachyderms

Ever since my friend Mari blogged about how sketching giraffes has almost become her trademark, I have been doodling elephants everywhere.


Meetings that go on long past their scheduled time have now taken on a new meaning. More elephants can be found in my spiral-bound, square-line notebook than in the forests of Mudumalai.

The car window steamed up on the way to work, and before I knew it, an elephant was up there engrossed in observing the street life of Bombay.

My son wanted a star for doing his homework well. He got an elephant instead.

I sketched an elephant on the fly-page of a book I recently bought even before signing my name.

But I knew things had gone too far when I caught my elephant just before she lumbered onto a cheque.


Maybe I need to have a strict conversation with my elephant patronus and ask her to keep her sisters in check. Much as I adore pachyderms, I am not sure if I really want them to take over my life.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Cute sketches!

It would be so cool to suddenly see an elephant in the street and not have it be newsworthy at all. Here, of course, it would mean a circus or zoo escape, huge traffic jams and gawkers, and a royally irritated elephant.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Natasha said...

You definitely need to plan a trip to India, Elizabeth. Elephants on the street are not as common as cows, but you do see them often enough and it is not newsworthy.

dipali said...

That is so cute!
I love elephants.
Have you read Gerald Durrell's "Rosy is my relative"? A pachyderm lover's dream.

joe doaks-Author said...

If I have any more chocolate chip ice cream, I’m gonna look like an elephant. Yikes!

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Natasha said...

@ dipali - love Durrell, but haven't read that. Will rectify that as soon as I can. I do adore pachyderms.

@ Galen - why do you think I keep sketching them? There is a huge kinship I feel towards them.

Unknown said...

All I can say is . . . hilarious!

Cruella Collett said...

Natasha - that is hilarious! Maybe you'll have to collect one million elephants, huh? ;)

Natasha said...

@ Chary - the elephant or Mari getting me to start doodling them?

@ Mari - now that is an idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails