Sunday, September 20, 2009

Colours - eggshell yellow

[This is a work of fiction. The characters and situations are purely imaginary, and any resemblance to people living or dead is purely coincidental and unintended.]



Knit one. Knit two together. Yarn forward knit one. Yarn forward knit one, knit two together…… the eggshell yellow yarn flew over the needles.
She placed the lacy knit on her tummy and tried to imagine her baby in the vest she was knitting. Would the little creature she was carrying inside her really be big enough to fit into the garment? What would her baby be like? Untrained in mothering, would she even know how to handle her child?
She panicked – was she even ready?

The baby kicked. She smiled.
She would bumble along, and do fine. Didn’t everybody?

_____
Drabble(n) -
an extremely short work of fiction exactly one hundred words in length.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

Sweet story and such a cute picture.

Anticipating a birth is such a great experience. (Learning to knit, on the other hand, for me, was a terrible experience. I suck at it.)

Helen
Straight From Hel

Anonymous said...

Love the story and the picture is just too adorable.

Jannie Funster said...

I almost hesitate to comment here, as I'm sure you need another blog to read like you need a hole in the head with your busy life, but I came here from Lance's and have to comment on that knitted vest picture. Precious -- the garment and the child!

Natasha said...

@ Jannie - what would I do without an additional hole in the head? Thank you - two creations I am rather fond of. Your daughter is precious too.

@ Helen - the anticipation is great, isn't it? So is reality, though in a totally different way.

@ Fiona - thanks. And how was TED?

Elspeth Futcher said...

I always found it a rather unreal experience; I could never wrap my head around the reality of there's really a baby in there! I did love meeting each of them and thinking "so THAT'S what you look like!"

Lovely gentle post, Rayna!

Elspeth

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Oh, this brings me back. I had really happy pregnancies with no problems (except the occasional heartburn or backaches.)

Great post!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

dipali said...

Lovely- the story and the photograph!

Jan Morrison said...

hmmm...I wrote a post yesterday but it is gone! I really liked this post Rayna. A very good Drabble and a lovely wee person!

Natasha said...

@ Elspeth - Thanks for stopping by. I actually had the best of both worlds - I bonded big time with the baby "girl" I was carrying and when she turned out to be a boy, I had the "So this is who you are" moment.

@ Elizabeth - me too. I enjoyed both my pregnancies.

@ dipali - thanks

@ Jan - I am glad I am not the only one that keeps happening to. And thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails