Thursday, November 19, 2009

Writing can be dangerous

I could kill whoever got me hooked onto NaNoWriMo (I could also kiss them, and once the thing is finally done, I probably will, but that is a different story). My day is more tightly back than a can of sardines (though I have never personally encountered a can of sardines so would go by what the others say), at least in this month, and it is near impossible to find time to write. The one time that does work for me is the 40 minute train commute to and from office.

And there I was today, sitting in my favourite window seat, scribbling the scene leading up to the first kiss of one of my four protagonists. All my life I have had the ability to relive imaginary scenes involving the people who inhabit my head. So it was today. I could picture beautiful Revathi sitting in a cab wondering how to react to the very obvious advances of her colleague. I have no idea when or how it happened, but at some stage, my face started mirroring the expressions I knew were flitting across Revathi's face. When I looked up to lock my eyes into those of Revathi's colleague, I noticed the person sitting across staring at me. A quick look around showed half the compartment suddenly showing an inordinate amount of interest in something just behind my head.

Why did nobody warn me that writing could be this dangerous!

Or does this happen only to me?

10 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

So funny!

I have to be careful when I write in public. I'll talk to myself sometimes, otherwise. And I do make different gestures that I'm trying to write realistically. I guess we look like nuts. At home, I pace around a lot....

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Anonymous said...

That's very funny! I usually end up reading all the lines - although I'm quite good about doing this in private rather than public.

Elspeth Futcher said...

This is precisely why I write when no one is around! I mutter. My mutterings occur sometimes when I'm trying out pieces of dialogue and sometimes as I make harsh judgments on the quality of my writing!

Elspeth

Anonymous said...

you are so-o-o funny. Are you hinting that you might either kiss or kill me!! Loved the scene - almost worth writing a novel about a train journey - ooops - you're doing great...
and I just braved the ethers & posted an excerpt of my NaNo - oops again, but then I only make faces at my computer & cats - not at passing passengers....
thanks for making me laugh - this 'not-enough hours in the day/night/sardine thing has me going too. Keep it up - only 10 days to go! We'll make it

Natasha said...

@ Elizabeth - that sounds just like something I would do. Writers are nuts, I think.

@ Fiona - I would love to have you do it in public, at least once.

@ Elspeth - that sounds incredibly familiar too.

@ Marian - yesterday, I could have killed you, but today I would rather just kiss you. It is difficult to make time for writing, but if I really want to do it, I still can.
But no way I am going to get anywhere close to 50k by the end of the month (not even breached the 20k mark yet), so I have many more dangerous days ahead :-(

Anonymous said...

I thought so (I mean about kissing or killing me) but don't you belIEVE it! In the dangerous days ahead you will be transformed, inspired and will miraculously reach first the 30,000-level & when you do that, the 40k & then poss. the 'other' (no word spoken, so not to displease the gods who are helping) level. Anyway, it's no longer about the word level, it's about the spirit within which has been given this boost & who knows where we'll take it from here - you are a *star* Natasha. See what you've achieved already. Mhua back that's <3 <3 <3

Anonymous said...

oops - <3 usually comes out as kisses.... must be just blogspot that doesn't recognize such un-effete emoticons :(

LTM said...

OMG!!! LOL, Rayna! That happened to me in the grocery store the other day. I was SO embarrassed when I noticed a fellow staring at me w/interest... Hello! Sorry, not thinking about YOU--mind on fictional male character... BAH!!! :D

Natasha said...

@ Leigh- I did know you would laugh out loud when you read this, because you would have had similar experiences. All my life, I have had strange looks thrown my way, but this was the extreme case!

@ Marian - I am surprised I never replied to your comment. This comment is really late- as you are aware, I did finish that story, and you were one of the first to read it- it is now resting on my to be touched a bit later pile.

LTM said...

good stuff~ :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails