Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Borrowing from life

The story I am writing as a part of NaNoWriMo has four rather different women interacting with each other in an office. None of them is me, in looks, temperament or situation, and yet, when I write them, I find episodes from my life working their way into each of their stories.

Is that at all normal? Will they continue to be so different if all of them end up borrowing so generously from my life?

Sorry about the brevity of the post - have been staring at an Excel worksheet for the past five hours, and not only am I cross-eyed, I am also cross brained!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick - stop looking at Excel! It's a rotten rotten way to spend a day... :-)

Hart Johnson said...

Natasha-I was blogging about this today too (broadly)... I had a plan, then saw your title, so I got mine posted before coming to read... I think it is QUITE normal (especially when hurrying) and they may remain different, so long as you're careful (though maybe the story is that they have more in common than they knew)

Now I get to spend my day looking at data output... twins through and through...

M.J. Nicholls said...

I say: Yes.

I was recently informed by the writer Janice Galloway that there are no limits to what one can borrow from one's personal make-up and private life.

I'm not so sure about that, thought it does give you carte blanche to include secret things. VERY secret things. Which is fun.

Natasha said...

@ Fiona - I am paid to do that, unfortunately. And the quality of life of so many kids depends on that. The latter, is of course, the better reason.

@ Tami - I'm glad you feel that way. It's no masterpiece I am aiming for, but I would hate it if I ended up with one character doing many different things!
And yes, we do seem to get more twin-like everyday.

@ Mark - reassuring to hear that. But let me now shut up before people start attributing things that never happened to me, to me :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails