Tuesday, November 10, 2009

On pulling up my socks

Though it has been four months since my older one started primary school, the school enforced the footwear component of the school uniform only after the recent term break. The week before the three-week long holidays began, they had sent out a reminder asking us to purchase the socks from the administrative office, but one thing led to the other, and I was not able to do so.
We bought black leather lace-up shoes for my son the day before school started, but he had to go to school on the first day in plain white socks. I was expecting a reprimand, and knew I deserved one. I could only hope that they did not punish my son for something that was clearly his mother’s fault.
“I am sorry I had to send him to school today without the regulation socks”, I apologized. “I hope you wouldn’t punish him.”
“We NEVER punish the child for something that is not his fault”, the head said indignantly.
Not many schools in India think that way – the schools I went to never did.
My heart soared with pleasure. I had chosen the right school for my child.
And I will pull up my socks in future, and not miss things like this.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great attitude by the school!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Good school! And you were good to cover your bases with the note...I do the same thing here when I've messed something up. Seems like I've been writing lots of notes lately. :)

Elizabeth

Elspeth Futcher said...

What a good school! I also had to wear a uniform to school; I don't think they would have been so forgiving.

Elspeth

dipali said...

This is so heartening to read!

Natasha said...

It is a great attitude, isn't it, specially when kids are as young as mine are? In the first school I went to, we were caned if our uniform was not perfect. In my second school, we got demerits, and in my third school, we got demerits AND were asked to stand outside the class barefeet for a couple of periods if there was anything missing from the uniform.
Am so glad my son's school doesn't do any of that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails