Sunday, October 14, 2012

To not say "Yes"


“Stop being such a spoilsport”, my friends told me when I said I couldn't join them for a night-out. “If you really want to, you can manage it somehow.”
But that was just it. I did not want it that badly. Sure, I love my friends, and love spending time with them, but not at the cost of disrupting my normal routine. So, I said “No”.
It didn't make me a lesser woman. It didn't make me a wimp. It didn't make me anything except a person who had a courage to not say “Yes”, when she actually meant “no”.


"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."
~Mahatma Gandhi


______
This is the fourth year that I am going to be a part of NaBloWriM. The Plan is to elaborate (in 100 words) on a quote that touched my heart- let's see how far this takes me. If I can tie it in with the writing prompt, so much the better!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natasha - Good on you! A polite but unmistakeable 'no' is sometimes the right answer. And if your friends really are your friends, they will respect that - and you.

Sueann said...

A lot of the time, a no is the hardest thing to say. Good for you
Hugs
SueAnn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails