Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cafe Terrace at Night, Drabble # 7

[Seventh in a Set of Drabbles based on Van Gogh's Cafe Terrace at Night, 1888]

‘Why do you stay here’, Paul keeps asking me. ‘come with me to Tahiti, where the weather is good and the girls are better.’

This is home. I don’t want to leave. But the picture he paints is appealing.

Nobody here appreciates me. It would be nice to have half naked girls ministering to me. I spend every franc I have on paint, and can barely afford food. To have a village feed me unlimited fish and fruit is enticing. I am tempted to leave for Tahiti.

If I paint myself into this picture, would I be compelled to stay?


____
A drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

12 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

You are excellent at drabbles and this one is no exception.

Yvonne.

Margot Kinberg said...

Rayna - What a wonderful drabble! You did a terrific job of telling the whole story in so few words. And how creative to take the viewpoint of the artist. I loved this one.

slommler said...

I loved this one too....!
Hugs
SueAnn

Jemi Fraser said...

Very nice! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Excellent, Rayna!

RA said...

Simply magnificent, Rayna! :)

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping at my blog and commenting! I'm your newest follower.

You ARE very good at drabbles. I love you were able to portray feeling and indecision with 100 words.

Clarissa Draper said...

What an interesting story and thought-provoking question from just a photo. Great!

CD

Chary Johnson said...

This reminds me of the time that I moved from NYC to Norfolk, Virginia. I thought that it would be better since it is a smaller city and should be a safer place to raise a family. I asked myself those same questions that the protagonist in your drabble asked. Tough decision.

However, I have learned that life isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Thanks for sharing this beautiful drabble.

Mary said...

Thought provoking. Your drabble always sets my mind on a journey.
Excellent as usual.

Giggles and Guns

Tina said...

Wow. Loved the last line especially. Now I need to read the first seven...

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Thank you, everyone. Growing up, I never quite liked Van Gogh as much as I did his contemporaries, but after reading about his tortured life, the paintings got vested with so much additional meaning.

Chary, interesting point you make.

Thank you, Amy for following. I am following you right back.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails