Monday, July 27, 2009

Azadirachta indica

Times without count, I have attempted unsuccessfully to grow a neem tree. The seeds don’t germinate, and a transplanted sapling never seems to take root in a pot. And yet the tree is so pretty, and its medicinal properties so attractive, I have never been able to bring myself to stop trying.

Last week, in the car park, I spotted a bit of green near the windshield wiper of a car. It was leaf shaped, but seemed too fresh to have fallen off the tree the car was parked under. Closer investigation showed that a neem seed had germinated in the fertile pile created by moist old leaves.

I had to photograph it, before gently removing the seedling and bringing it home. If it could spring up where it did, the seed has resilience. But whether it will set root in my pot, only time will tell.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

dipali said...

All the best, little seedling:)

Natasha said...

Will convey your wishes to the seedling, Dipali.

I am slightly sentimentally attached to the seedling too, since I found it just before visiting the doctor, and brought it home tha day I was told I needed surgery.

joe doaks-Author said...

Ohhhh. What a sweet story. I'll be heartbroken if it doesn’t turn out well.

We bought some lilac seedlings that were about two inches tall when we brought them home. I babied them, taking them outside every day and then bringing them in at night. They finally made the transition to a bigger pot and now living outside. They’re about 8 inches tall with nice, thick stems. I would never admit that I gave them both names. I’m much too tough a Macho-type guy to admit that.

Best regards, Galen

Imagineering Fiction Blog

Natasha said...

I love men who give their plants names. Actually, I love people who do, regardless of gender.

Some of my plants have got names and personalities now, but just a few.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails