Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Why some kids draw but not mine

Someone I know had used as a Christmas card, a picture her five year old daughter had drawn. My son can do that too, even better, I thought. My resolve of not comparing children obviously restricted to only not telling them so.

“Why don’t you draw me a nice picture for me for Mother’s Day?”, I asked him. Maybe a picture of you and Mamma doing something together?
“I don’t’ want to.”
“Please, it would make Mamma very happy if you do.”
After a bit of coaxing and the promise of being allowed to watch Ben 10 for an extra five minutes if he did a good job, he produced something that would have been a masterpiece had the younger one done it, but which was rather pedestrian by his standards.
“Do you think this is pretty enough for me to give you an extra five minutes of Ben 10?”, I asked.
“Yes!” Since I had asked him the question, I had to accept his answer.

A few days later, I tried again.
“Will you draw a pretty picture for me.”
“I don’t know what to draw.”
“How about a picture of you and your brother playing football?”
“I don’t know how.”
“Come on, it can’t be that difficult if you try.”
Three minutes later he was done.



“My brother keeps pulling his hair, and soon he will have none. And I gave him more legs because he says he is a lion.”, he explained with a mischievous grin even before I asked him to explain.

I just gave up. I know he is capable of much better. But if this is all he wants to do, so be it.
And full marks for imagination!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails