Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Three Cups of Disappointment

Combat terrorism by educating girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan. The idea behind Greg Mortenson's "Three Cups of Tea" is so simple and so powerful that it is hard not to be impressed by it. And I was.


So when I read about how many of the schools they have funded are non-operational, I put it down to the naivety of foreigners who implicitly assume that dollars translate into projects.

And then I heard about the misappropriation of funds. Of the creative accounting. Of how expenses relating to book-promotion were written-off as program costs.

I was heartbroken. Can't you trust anyone?
_____
drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natasha - Oh, that is so terribly heartbreaking! And what a sickening missed opportunity to do some real good. Just so sad...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is sad! People just trying to do something good for others...

Sue said...

oh Rayna, no! I had been thinking of that book these last few days and how essential it is to educate ALL children in the world. I'd hoped that project would remain a beacon of light in these sad times. I think it's time for me to go and live in the outback away from any news and become a hermit. Sue

Oddyoddyo13 said...

Of course you can. We'd be much, much worse off if you couldn't. You just have to find out who you CAN trust and who you CAN'T. Don't be discouraged.

Jemi Fraser said...

That is horrific! People who steal from charities are the lowest of the low.

Chuck said...

Another sad tale in the time of need. When will things like this stop?

Theresa Milstein said...

There are too many stories of people taking advantage that we have to keep in mind that most people wouldn't behave like this.

Faith Pray said...

Rayna, I heard about this. It's so distressing when selfish people take attention and world focus away from serious crises. Thanks for writing about this.

Sueann said...

Awful!!! So awful!! And sad!!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Grammy said...

Hi, Rayna,
Yes, I agree that is so very sad, and children must be educated in order for our world to survive. Thank you for bringing this to people's attention.
Ruby

dipali said...

This is shocking and most saddening:(

LTM said...

aaand that he made the whole thing up. Argh. There's a special place for people like this... don't be discouraged! What you're doing is so powerful and important and life-changing, and there ARE people you can trust~ ((hugs))

Tina said...

You're right on here, Rayna!
Thanks for your encouragement.
I've finally passed on the Award you gave me. Thanks so much for that! I mentioned you and linked that post while passing it on.
Tina @ Life is Good

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails