Friday, January 18, 2013

I despair for my country


Ninety-six percent of children of school-going age are enrolled in schools. But less than half the children in grade five can solve simple two digit subtraction problems, or read texts meant for grade two children.
If the numbers are not bad enough, what makes it worse is that the numbers have gone down since a similar survey conducted in 2010- enrolment numbers have remained similar, but the quality of education has gone down.
If kids learn nothing in school, why should parents not put them to work instead? Why struggle to send them to school?
I despair for my country.

______
A Drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

3 comments:

Shaharizan Perez said...

Oh my goodness! This is truly heartfelt. You know that as an educator, it tears me up inside when our public schools fail our students. I hope that India will initiate several of the educational reforms that most countries around the world have implemented.

I mean honestly, how can we prepare our students for next generation employment when there are deficiencies in the system?

Great drabble!

Sueann said...

Oh dear...that truly is sad. Here in my state education is poor too compared to world standards. It is sad! What is going on? It used to be education was highly prized...now it is an afterthought!
Sigh
Hugs
SueAnn

Anonymous said...

Natasha - My heart broke as I read this. It is in well-educated and much-loved children that any country's future lies. Nations need to be faithful to and careful of their children. Your boys at least are lucky that they have you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails