Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why do we hold ourselves back?

When it comes to running, I fall into one of two extremes. Either I don't turn on the stopwatch at all, or I obsessively run with the clock. "Tune into your effort level", a much wiser runner keeps telling me, but that's something I've never been able to do.
Yesterday, the display counter on the treadmill was off, so I had to run by effort. And I was shocked by what I could do. Today, I chose a much higher speed, and comfortably broke a barrier I never thought I would reach.

Why do we choose to hold ourselves back?
_____
drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

7 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

Natasha - How sad it is that very often, we hold the key to the prisons in which we lock ourselves...

kmckendry said...

I think it's fear of failure, yet when we fail to push ourselves is when we truly fail.

sarah said...

i think it can be very hard to tune into effort level, since so much of running is mental. try running with a heart rate monitor -- that can really take the guess work out.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

See? Leave the watch home next time.

GigglesandGuns said...

Fear. Fear that we will succeed. Fear that we won't succeed. So we chose a point of comfort and stay there.

Suzanne said...

What an interesting occurrence. We really do put limits and restrictions on everything we do. We need to somehow figure out a daily reminder to ourselves to not do that for the day.

ViolaNut said...

I'm still trying to find the temperature and pace where neither my horrible-side-cramp-from-hell or my totally-kacked-up-knee kicks in and makes me stop. :-P I should probably go try again now. ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails