Friday, March 5, 2010

Things your eyes refuse to see

"Mamma, come!!!", yelled my six year old.
"How many times do I have to tell you not to call out when I am ironing", I yelled back. "I nearly burnt myself."
"Mamma, come here. I want to show you something."

The urgency in his voice moved me, and turning off the power switch, I followed his voice to the balcony. I couldn't find anything worth looking at.
"Why have you called me here?", I grumbled. "There is nothing to see."

"Look", he said pointing out.
I could see nothing. It was just the view I see everyday from the balcony. If anything, I could see much less than normal because of the overhanging fog.
"I still don't see anything", I insisted. "Are you sure you were playing a trick on me to get me to come here?"
"But can't you see, Mamma", he asked incredulously. "The outside has got swine flu."

I looked again through his eyes. The view was gloomy and menacing. It did look as though the sky had got swine flu. We stood there for several minutes commiserating with the poor outside which was ill.

Sometimes you need a child to show you things that your eyes refuse to see.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Al said...

What a wonderful imagination.
To see the world with the eyes of a child, very special.

Anonymous said...

I love the lively imagination of kids. No wonder their world is so magical!

dipali said...

Such a wonderful flight of imagination!

Ann Elle Altman said...

That's amazing! I used to write down things my children used to say when they were little. I wish I had blogging back then, I could record their words and remember where I left them.

ann

Natasha said...

@ Al - incredible, isn't it? I wonder where that imagination later goes.

@ Fiona - wish I could hold these moments forever.

@ Dipali - incredible, isn't it?

@ Ann - I used to keep a weekly journal but now that I blog, I no longer bother.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

That's probably the best description of fog I've ever heard!

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, what a cutie! Very colorful description (and I happen to love a stormy sky). I love the language kids with really wonderful 'language aptitude' use when they don't have the actual words.--Thing 1 used to pull out descriptions that were SO PERFECT, given that they were not what an adult would say (telling my my face was too spicy when I had party make-up on, for instance)

Donna B. said...

Oh Rayna...what a beautiful post. If we could only slow down long enough to enjoy the unfiltered wisdom of children. When I visit my grandsons, it my most favorite thing to listen to them. I ask questions and love the responses they give. So pure, so innocent.

Beautiful photography too! Did I tell you my youngest daughter is pregnant?

Jan Morrison said...

so natural - it just slips off their tongues. I love it.

Lance said...

Rayna,
What I love about this, is the idea that seeing things through others eyes can really give us a different perspective. And especially through children, who see the world around them with wonder...so, so good!

Natasha said...

@ Jane - it is beautiful, isn't it?

@ Tami - a spicy face is such a perfect description. You are right, Thing 1 is going to be a Someone, and not just because of her smashing looks.

@ Donna - CONGRATULATIONS. And aren't grandkids the most wonderful thing ever. I love watching my two jabber away with her over the phone.

@ Lance - thank you. Yes, kids expose us to a whole new world.

Sue said...

Very true, this. My three year old is making up stories all day long and some of the stuff he says stops me in my tracks every now and then.

Natasha said...

@ Sue - they are precious at that are, aren't they? Absolutely precious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails