Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lace





Lace! Exquisite, ancient lace! Lace made by my grandmother for her first-born's christening gown. Lace that was never used, maybe because in those last few weeks, she was too ill to finish the gown she had started.
Lace I found tucked away in a corner of the cupboard. Lace with the smell of decades of mothballs replacing every skein.
Lace that I should have used on my baby's best frock. Lace that would have represented four generations of very different women.

Instead, I sewed it onto my most comfortable nightshirt. My grandmother was the best– I deserve all of her.


_________________
Drabble (n) - an extremely short work exactly one hundred words in length.


Painting - Time, Denise Bowles

3 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

Oh Natasha, I love your drabbles - they always keep me hungering for more which is delicious!

Natasha said...

Thank you, Jan. This is one of my favourite drabbles, because the sentiments it echos are of me and my grandmother. And she was the best.

Natasha said...

Thank you, Dipali. Like I said, my grandmother was the best, and even though she never did make that lace, I know she might well have.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails