Saturday, September 25, 2010

"Happy Birthday"

Michele Emrath's blog Southern City Mysteries completes a year on September 24, 2010, and she's running the Happy Birthday Blogfest to celebrate. To participate, all you have to do is write something that includes a reference to a birthday, a setting of a birthday, or a scene that revolves around a present or upcoming or past birthday. Here's my entry.


New job, new city, no friends. It was her birthday, and except her parents who called in the morning, not a single person even wished her. This was her dream job. She knew she would eventually settle down. But right now, all she wanted to do was weep.
"How about a quick drink?", her boss asked. She almost refused, but didn't want to spend the evening in her empty flat.
She spied familiar faces in the pub- was this where the office hung out?
"Happy Birthday!", they chorused, raising their beer mugs to her. Who said she didn't have friends?


_____
drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.




14 comments:

Will Burke said...

I had no idea what a "Drabble" was. Curious set-up, what is her industry? Is the office climate always so welcoming, or is something amiss?

Anonymous said...

Rayna - What a terrific Drabble! And so much there about assumptions and expectations, and how they affect us. I really liked this story :-).

J.C. Martin said...

You learn something new everyday--now I know what a drabble is! Very sweet one too!

CA Heaven said...

Nice drabble, with happy ending. Familiar situation, being alone in a new place. I actually enjoy it >:)

Cold As Heaven

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A great piece with which to celebrate Michele's day!

The stuffed leopard with the beer - he did have a designated driver, didn't he?

Anonymous said...

Didn't know what a drabble was until now. Yours is great, by the way.

Sueann said...

Awww! So sweet...a wonderful ending! Put a smile on my face for sure.
Hugs
SueAnn

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Nothing like a surprise party!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Oh, and thanks for offering to help me on the 19th! I was going to send you an email with my book's information, but couldn't find your address. Mine's alexjcavanaugh AT earthlink.net. (Yeah, original, huh?)

Julie Musil said...

Oh my gosh, what a great short story. A fun little twist at the end...great job!

Jemi Fraser said...

Yay for the boss! Great story :)

Kittie Howard said...

Ohhh, but I loved this drabble. As much as I pretend otherwise, when my birthday rolls around I melt when friends remember.

Sandra said...

I've been strolling through your blog, enjoying myself immensely.

Natasha said...

@ Will- thank you for dropping by. Her story is partly based on my experience- my first birthday at the new job, my boss bought a cake and got me to cut it in office. Did I feel a part of the gang after that?

@ Margot- thank you. Partly autobiographical, but a fictional take on it.

@ J.C. Martin- thank you. And you will find drabbles of drabbles here.

@ Cold As Heaven- I do too, normally. But on birthdays, I like to have people wish me.

@ Alex- thank you. And that cheetah actually ran home after that.

@ Medeia- thank you.

@ SueAnn - thank you. That was the intention.

@ Diane- I love them. But though I have planned them for so many people, nobody has given me one :-(


@ Julie- thank you.

@ Jemi- thank you. Yes, the boss I wish I had.

@ Kittie- you and me both!!!

@ Sandra- thank you. And have fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails