Thursday, March 5, 2009

And what does one do?

And now, a genuine crisis.

My older one is learning about the Solar System in school, and the younger one has always been fascinated by heavenly bodies, so these days, most story sessions revolve around making up stories about planets and stars.
But today, when I was telling the kids about the small plants and the large ones, the older one wanted to talk instead about Venus, and her pretty rings.

“Venus doesn’t have rings, sweetie”, said I. “Saturn does.”
“No, Venus has rings”, he insisted.
“Venus doesn’t.” I said. “Only Saturn and Uranus do.”
“No, Venus has rings. Teacher said so.”
This time I had to put my foot down. “I am sure you misheard your teacher. But if she did tell you that Venus has rings, she is mistaken. Venus doesn’t have rings and I am prepared to tell your teacher that, and back it up with photographs.”

The exchange ended in a stalemate. He is now going to ask his father to adjudicate.
I’ll pre-warn the father, and make sure he gives the right answers.

BUT, just because a situation is controllable, doesn't mean I have to like it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails