Friday, January 23, 2009

Baby

[For my baby who turns three tomorrow, and for my mother, who's baby I will always be.]


“Your son has started sucking him thumb at school”, I was told. “Is there a problem at home?”

I knew there wasn’t, but I asked him still. He was just scared of turning three. Nervous about officially becoming a ‘big boy’. Anxious about giving up ‘baby privileges’. Worried about whether I would continue hugging him as I did.

“Sometimes I want to be a baby”, he said.

You are a baby, my son. You can be a baby as long as you like. Even when you have babies of your own, you can still come and snuggle up to me.

______________
Drabble (n) - an extremely short work exactly one hundred words in length. The purpose of the drabble is brevity and to test the author's ability to express interesting and meaningful ideas in an extremely confined space.

2 comments:

Michelle Zheng said...

Aw. He's unique. Normally little kids want to get older, instead of staying young.

It's very heart warming.

-Michelle

Natasha said...

He is quite a unique kid - and he is my darling baby, except when he is driving me up the wall (which is most of the time).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails