Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Skhandamata, the Mother of Shand

The Mother of Kartikeya, she watches out for all
her children. She grants eternal wisdom, her 
devotees are doubly blessed

© 2018
I rushed into the office lobby as fast as my pregnant body would let me. Of all days, did I have to be late today when we had the Unicorn presentation in the afternoon? I glanced at my watch in dismay as the lift took its own time coming down. Why didn’t I get up when my alarm went off? Why did I hit the stop button instead of pressing snooze? I had spent the night tossing and turning, trying to find a comfortable position. I should have pulled myself up.
The lift arrived, and I tried to control my thoughts. I’d been working on the Unicorn account for nearly six weeks. And today was the final presentation. I couldn’t afford to mess up. I had to concentrate.
"Hi. Boss would like to meet you now", said his secretary as I passed her desk.
"Right now? Okay". I left my bag at her desk, ignored my full bladder and pushed open his door. "I'm sorry I'm late. But I finished all the work on the account yesterday before leaving. Didn't you get my mail."
"Sit down", he waved. "It's not about the presentation. You know we have been having a tough quarter, and we really have to economise. There has been a restructuring and I'm afraid your position has been merged with another." He paused, and let the words sink in. "As per policy, we have to give you 30 days notice, which we will. You are, if course, free to leave earlier as long as you finish your complete handover."
"Are you firing me? But I've not done any wrong." Why?"
"I know it is a shock. But there is nothing I can do about it. I was asked to let go one member of my team. I'll give you a good reference, of course."
"But why me? I've been here for four years. I've always been a consistent performer. Why me?" My baby sensed my agitation and started kicking wildly. "Is it because of the baby? I'll join back after a month. But don't ask me to leave. Please."
"It's not because of your condition. It's a management decision. Please understand. Now I'd you don't mind. I think you have to prepare for the meeting. You are late, as it is."
I rushed out and made it to the washroom just in time. My baby continued to kick, and gradually, I calmed down. 'Don't worry, Sweetheart. Mommy will be fine. We will forget all about this and do our job. In the evening, we will tell Daddy about this.'

My baby gave a soft kick and went back to sleep. I splashed water on my face, reapplied my kajal and got to my desk.

The Unicorn meeting went off really well. The Founder was one of the smartest people I've worked with. She immediately grasped our points and her questions were insightful. When she thought I wasn't looking, I shot covert glances at her. With her pretty saree, tasteful jewellery and subtle make up, she made me feel dowdy. Someday, I wanted to be like her. She caught me staring and flashed me a smile. Embarrassed, I looked away.
"Really good work", she said to my boss. "Give me a couple of days and I'll get back to you." She went around the room shaking hands. "You did a fantastic job", she told me. "I love some of your ideas."
"Thank you", I beamed back.
“Could you tell me where the washroom is?"
“I’ll show you where it is.”
“That would be very kind". She smiled back. “So when are you due?”
“Not for another three months. Mid-December.”
“The third trimester is the easiest. Enjoy yourself now. See all the movies you want. Take a holiday. Once the baby comes, you will have no time for yourself. Pamper yourself now.”
Tears came to my eyes at her kindness. She broke off, and put her hand on my shoulder. “What happened? Did I say something I shouldn’t have? Is everything all right? I’m sorry if I said something wrong.”
“No. You didn’t say anything. It’s just that, just that”,  tears streamed down my cheeks. I gulped and the words came out in a rush, “It’s just that I have been asked to leave.”
“BASTARDS!” Though no sound came out, I could read her lips. She controlled her rage. “Why? They can’t just fire you like that. Not after all the work you have put in.”
“They said they are restructuring. But I know it is because they don’t want to pay me during my maternity leave. Only I have been asked to leave. Nobody else. I tried telling them I am willing to join back sooner, but they told me to finish my notice period and leave. Maybe they will take me back after the baby..”
“Nonsense. Don’t even think of coming back here.”
“But I have never worked anywhere else. I was so happy here. I don’t even know how to start looking for a job.” I was blabbering on, and I knew it.
“Well, you could come and work for me. Instead of outsourcing my work to this firm, I could hire you to do it.”
I couldn’t believe my ears. “Are you serious?”
“I wouldn’t joke about something like this. I have seen your work. More importantly, I have seen how professionally you conducted yourself today. Only thing is, I cannot afford to pay you full wages during your maternity leave, so I will have to take you on as a consultant. Let’s grab a coffee tomorrow if you are interested, and we can discuss the terms.”
“I don’t know what to say”, I stammered.
“Don’t say anything now”, she smiled. “If we are going to work together, there will be lots of time to say things. Now smile. You baby doesn’t like it when you are sad.”

_____
I am Skandamata, the Mother of Skand. The fifth manifestation of Nav Durga. I am every woman struggling to survive in a workplace that is not conducive to women.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails