Saturday, November 2, 2019

Brahmacharini, the Dedicated Ascetic

She indulges in deep penance, thousands of years of 
deprivation and sacrifice. She gets her way. She cannot 
be swayed.

© 2018
We were returning home after winning the trophy at the National Robotic Championship. “Where did you get the idea for your project?”, the journalist asked, thrusting a microphone at Sahil.
“Oh you know, there is so much plastic pollution you know, the fish are dying, the oceans are getting polluted. We wanted to make something useful. So we thought of making this robot that will clean our oceans.”
“Most of the other teams made robots that can be used it gaming. Were you not tempted to do it?”
“No, not at all. You know. The fish are very important. And the oceans are getting polluted. So we wanted to do something useful.”
Did Sahil have no shame. How could he stand there telling those blatant lies? I still remember the time when we were trying to come up with a project. The boys both wanted to make a robot that would fetch can carry things for them in the house. But I was determined to make something useful.
I tried to appeal to our teacher, but he told me to sort it out within the team itself. With barely a week to go for the competition, I tried to convince them one last time. “You know one of the biggest problem in the world today is that so much of the plastic that we can recycle ends up in the ocean. Why don’t we make a robot that can identify water bottles from a conveyor belt and sort them for recycling. It would be so useful.”
Neither of them was convinced by my argument, but since they knew I would end up doing most of the work, they finally relented.
At least Rahul tried to help. He made the body in which the circuitry was housed, and he helped weld the claws that actually picked up the bottles. All Sahil did was make snide suggestions about how we should give the robot a narrower waist, because women were better at cleaning up stuff than men!
Both of them disappeared during the exhibition. Our teacher and I took turns demonstrating the robot. Twice the robot malfunctioned, but I was able to make the necessary adjustments in the circuitry and fix it.
I knew the judges liked the robot, but never dreamt that we would win the Championship. When we went up to receive the trophy, Sahil was the one who held it high for the photographers. I didn’t mind- he is the tallest of us and could hold it higher.
“Tell  us a little more about what your robot does”, the journalist continued.
“You know, it helps clean plastic pollution. It picks up plastic, you know.” Sahil looked around, hoping I would pitch in, but the journalist was done with us.
“Wish you all the best. Hope you win many more such championships.” She flashed him a smile, then smiled at Rahul and moved it. It was almost as if I didn’t exist.
“That was fun”, said Sahil. “I can’t wait to show this trophy to my family. Mummy is having a party tomorrow- all the uncles and aunties will come to congratulate me. I’m sure some of them will even get me gifts- I hope it is money.”
I guess I would have to wait for my turn to take the trophy home to show my mother. My mobile rang-
“Baba, there is no electricity in the bedroom and I can’t reach the electrician. Will you be home soon, so you can fix it?” I smiled. At least my mother knew what I was capable of.
______
I am Brahmacharini, the Devoted Student. The second manifestation of Nav Durga. I am every woman in STEM.

1 comment:

Lily Allen said...

Thank you for publishing a very informative post. Every post of yours is very awesome, we feel satisfied by reading it.
clipping path service provider

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails