Sunday, December 23, 2012

The first generation

Spotlessly clean uniforms- shirts tucked into their skirts. Hair neatly combed and plaited- every bow of the ribbon perfectly arranged. Sitting crosslegged in straight rows on the floor- backs straight, not ever fidgeting or whispering or passing notes.
I couldn’t help but compare the disciplined group of schoolgirls from a tiny tribal hamlet, with the unruly mob that inhabits the school my kids go to. The kids with movie-star hairdos and messy clothes, who unthinkingly flout every rule in the book!
It is obvious who values education more. Naturally too- they are the first generation to have access to it.




_____
I took this photograph in a one-room one-teacher school in a tribal hamlet near Bombay. The photograph taken in April forms a part of my Pictorial Flashback of 2012.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natasha - I cannot tell you how happy I am that these girls are getting a chance!! I've been reading such wrenching news about that horrible attack and it's got me so upset. So nice to see some hope...

Sueann said...

Boy, isn't that the way!! Sigh!!
Merry Christmas
Hugs
SueAnn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails