Saturday, March 31, 2012

A word a day, in the month of April

Though I made some great friends at the first A to Z Blogging Challenge, and managed to survive the second one, I was not intending to let myself into it for the third year in a row. But when Tina Downey of Life is Good told me about her project for the month, I was inspired to join in too.

There are words, and there are words. Some words can be easily translated, others need to be described. As a part of the A to Z blogging challenge, everyday in the month of April, I will try to capture the "Soul" of a word from an Indian language in exactly 100 words.



And here's why I chose this project.
_______

If you are born and brought up in India, you are multi-lingual out of necessity. By the time I was four, I was fluent in three languages- English, the language of instruction; Tamil, which was spoken at home; adn Hindi, reserved for conversations with the “help”.

Over the years, I acquired new languages and forgot old ones. But every one of those languages left behind a legacy of words. Words that almost defy translation. Words that have nuances that can only be described. Where the “Soul” goes beyond the word itself. Words that need over 100 words to be captured.
 _____

drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

4 comments:

Sueann said...

How fascinating! Looking forward to your future "word" posts.
Hugs
SueAnn

Jemi Fraser said...

What a great theme! :)

Rek Sesh said...

Will look forward to the words you feel inspired to post about.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Still inspiring, long time no hear.

Good luck with the A to Z Challenge.

Yvonne.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails