Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N for ....... Never

This is a work of fiction and forms a part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. I will attempt to write a new story based on the word for the day every day during the month of April.


I had a story written out in my mind with a very different N-word. But after what happened in Boston yesterday, the story that wrote itself was this very different one. Struggled to link it to a N-word, and while the link may be tenuous, the sentiments are real.

For as long as she’d been a runner, Nicole had dreamt of running the Boston Marathon. It was at Boston that Katherine Switzer proved that a woman could run a marathon without her uterus falling out. Year after year, she tried to qualify, but she always fell short by a few minutes. She was ready to give up.
As she watched the images on TV, Nicole had just one thought. Next year, she will somehow qualify for Boston. She will show those terrorists that their tactics don’t work. Never will she allow the terrorists to strike fear in her heart.



Till yesterday, when I thought Boston, I could only think of this series of photographs. Now other images are unfortunately much more vivid.
______  

A Drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was most appropriate, I was in Boston a few years ago and reconised that street, It is so sad that people can't run a marathon for charity without these evil people killing and maiming people. My thoughts go to all concerned.
Yvonne.

Chuck said...

Excellent choice for a post. That was so bizarre that I still don't believe it. Glad I am leaving the country for a week on Saturday.

Chuck at Apocalypse Now

Nancy Thompson said...

Those terrorists are cowardly bastards. Those who responded and helped the injured were the real heroes and that is what Boston should be remembered for.

New follower via the A to Z.

Deb said...

I was amazed and heartened by the heroism shown by the people who ran towards the explosion to help. I hope they catch the mongrel who did it.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I had to look up those pictures. Crazy.

Speaking of, I have not yet processed what is going on in Boston.

--
Tim Brannan
The Other Side and The Witch
Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
The Freedom of Nonbelief

Anonymous said...

Natasha - What a horrible, senseless act happened in Boston! My heart breaks for the people there and I hope that what happened will not stop runners from showing their strength in the future.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails