Thursday, December 27, 2012

Judgement to be Swift

While the entire nation is signing petitions demanding death penalty for the rapists in a particularly heinous crime, I hold a contrary view. People want the rapists to hang, so it will serve as a deterrent for others, but if that were the case, there would be no murder or terrorism. What strikes fear in the hearts of people is not the severity of punishment, but the certainty of punishment. And if death is the punishment, any judge will drag his feet.
The lynch mobs can continue to scream for blood, all I want is for judgement to be swift.
______
"The Doors of Perception", is what I call this composition. What you see, depends on how you look at it. Taken in August at one of our favourite restaurants, this forms a part of my Pictorial Flashback of 2012.

3 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

I agree with you. Even when a criminal is sentenced to a severe punishment, they know the possibility of them actually serving it is slim. A sentence should be carried out swiftly, not 20 or 30 years later.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Diandra said...

Usually the thread of the death penalty makes people on the run much more dangerous than if they were "only" facing a long time in prison. I personally want severe punishment for severe crimes, but that streak of longing for revenge instead of justice is exactly why I am glad I do not have to work in the justice/law system. (I considered studying law for a shrot time, before I realized I was definitely not suited for that kind of job.)

Anonymous said...

Natasha - I want swift justice too, for the reasons you mention. I also want it because I think it's helpful for the family. How horrible it must be for them...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails