Friday, December 21, 2012

I let him grow


“Please may I go to the shop and buy a packet of biscuits?”, my then eight year old asked me. The store is barely 300 meters from my place, no roads to cross, no difficult stretches to navigate. My son was fairly responsible- I knew he could be trusted to not do anything foolish. Why then did I hesitate? Was it because I thought he was too young? Or was it that irrational fear of letting go?
It took me three days, but I eventually agreed. His joy was unbounded. I am glad I trusted him, and let him grow. 


______

I nearly killed this plant by watering it too much. Luckily, I caught it in time, and eased off. Kids are like plants, aren't they? Overwatering stifles them almost as much as neglect. Taken at home in February, this forms a part of my Pictorial Flashback of 2012.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Natasha - Children need roots and wings. It's so hard for parents to let go and let grow, but we have to. I'll bet your son is very proud that you trust him enough to let him go to the store now. It helps him to trust himself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails