Tuesday, December 25, 2012

He can READ

“Mamma, what is the meaning of RAPE?”, my six-year-old asked me. Any mother would have been horrified that he had stumbled upon that word. Instead, I was thrilled. Thrilled that he had learnt to string sounds together to form words. Thrilled that he liked reading enough to voluntarily pick up the newspaper. Thrilled that the universe of knowledge had opened up for him.
When he entered second grade, he struggled to recognize even three letter words. Guiding him was not easy, but his determination and my faith in him did it. He can READ.

But, that question still needs answering!

______ 

In June, I visited a summer camp where underpriveledged children were given supplementary coaching to bring them to normal school levels. Some of the methods they used helped me in making that critical breakthrough with my son. This picture taken in a slum community about a mile away from my house,  forms a part of my Pictorial Flashback of 2012.

2 comments:

Sueann said...

The gift of reading and understanding are such precious treasures. I am sure you will have a wonderful and informative response for him.
Hugs
SueAnn

Anonymous said...

Natasha - Your son is blessed indeed to have parents who enure that he has such a great treasure - he can read. You've given him the key and he has unlocked the treasure chest.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails