Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The purpose of festivals


Sharad Poornima.
The full moon night when the moon is closest to the Earth. People believe that if they offer a milk based dessert to the moon before consuming it, they will be blessed with good health in the coming year. In the days before high-rises and pollution, many families would have, what amounts to, a moonlight picnic dinner on Sharad Poornima. Whether the moon actually blessed the food or not, we do not know, but everyone sure had fun.
And shouldn’t that be the whole purpose of festivals?
I did my bit, and make something sweet for the kids.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.”
― Mark Twain

______
This is the fourth year that I am going to be a part of NaBloWriM. The Plan is to elaborate on a quote that touched my heart- let's see how far this takes me. If I can tie it in with the writing prompt, so much the better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Natasha - Oh, that looks delicious! I like that tradition, too; thanks for sharing it. There is such a special connection between people and the moon no matter where one lives isn't there?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails