Thursday, October 4, 2012

Never Outrun your Joy


I was determined to run 20 miles that day. The first couple of miles are always difficult, and I braced myself and weathered those. But even after I found my rhythm, the run did not become any easier. “Why am I doing this?”, I asked myself repeatedly. “Running is supposed to be fun, not a task to be completed.” Me being me, I could not bring myself to quit, but as I struggled through those last miles, I promised myself that if running was becoming a drag, I wouldn’t run anymore.
And the same holds for everything else, doesn’t it?



"Run often and run long, but never outrun your joy of running."

~ Julie Isphording

______
This is the fourth year that I am going to be a part of NaBloWriM. The Plan is to elaborate (in 100 words) on a quote that touched my heart- let's see how far this takes me. If I can tie it in with the writing prompt, so much the better!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have noticed that somethings I love sometimes becomes a drag. You have to decide whether you want to keep at it until the love returns, change it (the location or something to make it different), or just have a break from it and hope the love will return.

Danette said...

It was good to see you again. The years do pass quickly, don't they? Good to hear you are still running but understand too your wondering if you still want to do it. Sometimes you have to let things go for a while, then you can come back to it anew... like old friends. Cheers Natasha!

Anonymous said...

Natasha - I know just what you mean. Life changes us and we change with life. So it makes sense that things we used to savour don't have that appeal any more. In the end, you'll have to decide for yourself if running is something you want to continue, but I do know that feeling...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails