Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What are they called?

“Teeth”, I said, when my son pointed to his elephant’s tusks and asked me what they were.

“Teacher says they are tusks.” It was a statement, but his look told me it was actually a challenge.

I hate these situations. Do I contradict the teacher and undermine her authority? Or do I admit I was wrong, and lose the right to correct him when he is taught something inaccurate?

I decided to go with honesty. “Your teacher is right. They are like teeth, but they are called tusks.”

“What are they called?”

“Tusks!”


Why do teachers go beyond the curriculum?


_____
Drabble (n) - an extremely short work exactly one hundred words in length. The purpose of the drabble is brevity and to test the author's ability to express interesting and meaningful ideas in an extremely confined space.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails