Tuesday, November 18, 2008

You`ll Sleep, I`ll Stand Guard


Someday, I will bound across the Savannah with you - over rocky ground and soft, through the treeless flats and thickets of shrub. Hunting dinner, chasing food - but actually celebrating a body made for running. Someday, I will run with you, we will bring our kill home together. I will be your partner, not just your child.

Someday soon, I will take my place in the herd. But not today. Today, I am young, there is a lot I have to learn. But one thing I can do well,- I can stand guard while you catch up on your sleep.



Painting by Wendy Corbett

Drabble (n) - an extremely short work exactly one hundred words in length. The purpose of the drabble is brevity and to test the author's ability to express interesting and meaningful ideas in an extremely confined space.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails