Saturday, August 14, 2010

Old Man and the Tree

What do you think of when you see this man sitting under a tree?

A holy man contemplating the mysteries of the universe? A sage waiting to dispense knowledge among his followers? A religious pacifist wishing people would understand that no religion preaches hatred.

What if I zoomed back, and showed you in his true setting?

Wouldn't you agree he makes an unlikely proprietor of a shop that sells plumbing supplies.


Looks can be deceptive, can't they?
_______
I have been really guilty about hoarding awards, and am determined to pass at least some of them along in the next week.
Sometime in April, Mason Canyon at Thoughts in Progress passed on the One Lovely Blog Award to me.
I know longer remember the rules of passing it on, so am going to use my discretion, and pass it on to five awesome bloggers who have truly lovely blogs, which I look forward to visiting (they are also four people I really like, but that's a different story) -
Margot Kinberg at Confessions of a Mystery Novelist is a genius- there is no other word to describe her. Each post of her's can be the basis of a dissertation in itself, and she comes up with one everyday.
Patricia Stoltey - friend, philosopher, guide. 'nuff said.
Karen Walker of Following the Whispers writes with so much honesty, it is impossible not to be carried along.
Clarissa Draper of Listen to the Voices has a lovely blog - book reviews, writing tips, characterisations, she has them all. She's also an awesome commentator.
Hart Johnson of Confessions of a Watery Tart- it seems almost like nepotism to give an award to my Thursday Twin, but her blog defines lovely for me.
Hoard it, flaunt it or ignore it. This Award is honoured to have been passed on to each of you.

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Looks can be deceptive as you so rightly said Rayna, when I lived in a coastal town called Weymouth where incidentically is where the 2012 sailling Olympics are being held,there was this lady, very dirty in appearance, carrying bags with her few belongings in, well she got taken ill, was put into hiospital until she recovered by then she was cleaned up, It appears her late husband was a doctor they had this big house
she moved back in and also she was loaded with money.

Well done on your award and to all who is recieving it from you. well deserved.

Enjoy your week-end.
Yvonne.

Unknown said...

Oh gosh, Rayna! *blush* Thank you for the award. I will mention your lovely blog when I post about it.

Also, can I just say, I LOVE your blog post title. What a great idea.

It's a great writing tip too. Authors should at first only show a bit about the character and when the reader forms an impression, open up his background and BAM! the reader gets a surprise.

Great post.

CD

Jules said...

Wonderful trickery. I though of Australia for some reason but was drawn to the bicycle.

Wish I was not such a wind bag and could write drabbles. But you are a master, I'm not worthy. :D

Have a great weekend.
Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations!
And 'plumbing supplies' did not enter my mind.

Southpaw said...

Great information and beautiful pictures. I will say that toffee and banana are a perfect match.

Anonymous said...

I was also drawn to the bike.. thought he was taking a rest against the tree. Oh, and I definitely see a person in that tree! Can you?

RosieC said...

Congratulations on your award. Your blog is most lovely.

LTM said...

have to confess, my first thought was "that's a tree???" What kind of tree is that?

love this post, and love your lovely blog~ :o)

Sueann said...

The man and the tree! Well the tree itself is an amazing structure!! I love that tree. And the man does look like a wise sage; waiting to dole out words of advice. Great photo!! And a wonderful thought to ponder.
Congrats on your award!! And to those you shared it with as well!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Natasha said...

@ Yvonne - that is such a great story. And such a sad one too.

@ Clarissa- you do have a lovely blog. And peeling away the layers is a good way to go, isn't it?

@ Jules- have you tried writing drabbles? It is great fun? And India is tropical, and Australia nearly so, so why not?

@ Alex- I bet it didn't.

@ Holly - thanks

@ Fiona - didn't you know that tree harboured a tree spirit? And no, I am not kidding- it is there in Hindu myth.

@ RosieC - thank you.

@ Leigh - a peepul tree. Native to the tropics.

@ SueAnn - the tree is amazing too, isn't it? I keep trying to grow that plant as a bonsai, but no matter how hard I try, it never looks anywhere as good as that tree.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails