Friday, March 8, 2013

A day for drawing attention....




This morning, I saw a girl in a mini-skirt telling me to buy a two-wheeler to commemorate International Woman’s Day. While I have nothing against mini-skirts, and I admit that to a woman who has to battle male gaze while using public transport nothing is more empowering than a two-wheeler; I didn’t like how the Day was being misused to sell two-wheelers.
The Day is for drawing attention to the issues that plague women across the globe- gender inequality, lack of choice, economic discrimination, sexual abuse - the endless cycle of poverty and reproduction. That’s what the Day is for.
______  
A Drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

3 comments:

Sueann said...

I have to say...this confuses me too
Hugs
SueAnn

Diandra said...

A German discount store used the occasion to advertise for chocolates and perfume. With "HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY!" written across the page.

Anonymous said...

Natasha - I understand exactly what you mean! Let's not lose sight of the real purpose of this day. There is far too much at stake to do that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails