Thursday, February 9, 2012

Who says kids no longer read?


“It is refreshing to see today’s kids reading”, exclaimed a retired schoolteacher when she saw my eight year old engrossed in a book.
I found nothing strange about it- my son reads, his entire class reads, and even my younger son struggles to make sense of Tintin comics despite not being able to read most of the words. In fact, despite the “kids don’t read anymore” myth being perpetuated, I think many kids read much more than their parents do.
Sure, kids have their video games, and their TV serials. But reading is in no immediate danger of becoming extinct.

_____
drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natasha - You're quite right that reading is in no danger. Especially if kids have role models like you :-).

Erin Beyko said...

How right you are, my daughters and their friends are all avid readers. I think the idea that kids don't read anymore has been perpetuated for quite some time and it's something I just don't see.

Anonymous said...

Hi Natasha! I hopped on to your blog from the Mad Momma's. Noticed you are passionate about books in general and interested in children's books in particular, so I am taking the liberty of writing this comment. I hope you don't mind. I am definitely not the kind to spam random blogs with generic comments.

As a book-lover and mom to a 2 year old, I'd love to pass on my love for reading to as many kids as possible! With this thought in mind, I am exploring the option of starting an online children's book library in Mumbai. Currently talking to young parents to get an idea of what kind of demand is out there and what parents would want from such a library. I have created a brief survey for this purpose. I'd appreciate it if you would answer it. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEVVVENLSGdDLUpqUFBhTXV5ek1meXc6MQ

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails