Sunday, December 18, 2011

Last Christmas

[This is a work of fiction.]
“Do you like these?”, she asked.
I nodded.
“Ask your mother to get one for you.”
I slunk away. How could I tell her that my mother was confined to a bed, dying of tuberculosis? That my father had abandoned us. That we survived only on the charity of the church. She had been fooled by my school uniform I wore- the school which I attended on scholarship.
For weeks I stayed away, but something drew me back.
She spotted me at once. “Pick one”, she said. “A gift from me to you.”
My mother’s last Christmas will be memorable.

_____
Poignant or humorous. Thought provoking or plain silly. A slice of life or a dramatic tale. Countdown to the New Year with a drabble a day, everyday only at The Burrow.

3 comments:

Sueann said...

Brought a tear to my eye for sure.
What a sweet gesture
Hugs
SueAnn

Dorte H said...

A fine drabble with a ´happy ending´.

Jan Morrison said...

I think this drabble could be the seed of a novel. just saying...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails