Monday, January 10, 2011

See the Life You Change

I sponsored three months of nutrition for a child a couple of days back through SeeYourImpact.Org, and got this story back about the life that I changed.
______

Fourteen year old Radha’s story seems right out of a Bollywood movie. Her parents, Pappu and Sheel Kumari, are landless agricultural laborers, who migrated to the city of Kanpur to work as laborers at the brick-kilns or construction sites. Since her parents are at work all day, the fourteen year old manages the household chores (preparing food, cleaning utensils etc.) and for the past four years has been working part-time as a horse-cart puller transporting bricks at construction sites.


Despite all her chores, Radha finds time to attend Apna Skool, where she is in grade 4. She is a good student, and being the oldest in the family realizes the need to set a good example for her brother and two younger sisters. All four of them are very dilligent in their studies, and dream of going in for higher studies and earning a decent livelihood one day.

Radha’s favorite subject is Hindi and she loves reading stories. She aspires to be a teacher so that she can educate many more children like herself. She is fond of playing with skipping ropes.
 
Your donations, [--- and ---] will ensure that Radha enjoys an entire year of nutritious, tasty lunches, and healthy snacks. Thank you.

 _____
If you would like to make a difference to someone's life, do check out SeeYourImpact.Org- you can also redeem this gift card to get $ 5 off on your donation - CWHWRTH3QF

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's wonderful to hear you're really making a difference in her life!

Anonymous said...

Rayna - What a wonderful story of a remarkable girl. Thanks for sharing ways in which each of us can make the world better. You're amazing!

Jan Morrison said...

Yay Natasha! This is a great story and really educating young women will erradicate world poverty they say and this time I believe 'them'.

PK HREZO said...

What a grat story. Thanks for sharing Radha with us and including the link!!

Deb and Barbara said...

Brilliant! Sharing the wealth with her and with us -- and by wealth I mean your love and spirituality.
B
The Middle Ages

Ellie Garratt said...

What a wonderful selfless act, Rayna. I'm glad to read how much of a difference you are making to her life.

LTM said...

How wonderful, and I have a link to that site on my blog. Imagine when she does become a teacher and the wonderful things she'll share w/the world~ Yay! :D <3

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A worthy cause indeed!

Hart Johnson said...

I really love that cause--it is all so tangible when you see the life of the person you're helping and I am constantly amazed how much these kids DO for their families.

Talli Roland said...

What a wonderful story. My family sponsored children all the time when I was growing up. It was so gratifying to hear how their lives progressed.

Oddyoddyo13 said...

Wow. It's amazing to think her life will now be better because of you! Fantastic. :)

Natasha said...

@ Alex - she is a wonderful child, isn't she? I am so glad I could help her.

@ Margot - thank you, Margot. She has such a hard life, and yet she dreams- we can learn so much from her.

@ Jan - "they" are absolutely right. Image a world where girls like that are in charge.

@ Pk Hrezo - my pleasure entirely. I hope you find some lives you want to change

@ Barbara - I just wish I had the capacity to do more. But there is real life too, unfortunately.

@ Ellie - and it really costs so little when you compare it with the indulgences we all have.

@ Leigh- yes, I noticed that link the other day, and wanted to comment, but forgot. Bad me!
I am going to put a similar link up too, when I have time to breathe.

@ Debra - girls + education. Can anything match up?

@ Hart - it is really amazing how much they do, isn't it? And without questioning why.

@ Talli - isn't that wonderful.

@ Oddyoddyo13 - wish there were many more lives I could change, though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails