Thursday, May 20, 2010

Something I love doing

Another of those days when I am too pushed to write anything, so am recycling something I first posted in September 2008. I was actually reminded of this“Please do not forget to give my teacher a picture of me doing something that I love most”, said the note supposedly written by my son that he got home from school.
A seemingly simple request – after all, how hard can it be to pick a single picture out of the many that we have clicked – but on closer thought, one almost impossible to fulfill.

What is it that my not yet five year old loves most?

He loves jigsaw puzzles and is excellent at them – he could put together 25 piece puzzles just a couple of months after his third birthday. But is that what he enjoys most? Perhaps not – at one time, he definitely loved puzzles, but he no longer seems as fond of them as he once was. Not a picture of him putting together a jigsaw puzzle then.

There is a gorgeous picture of hanging down with his legs tucked into the climbing bars of the slide in the playground. And another of his exalting as he slides down the same slide. Few photographs capture as much sheer joy and exuberance as those two pictures do. But is that what he loves most – not really. He enjoys himself whenever he is taken to the playground, but if it were something he loved doing most, he would be pestering me to take him down to the playground a lot more than he actually does.

My son loves being read to, and even more he loves reading to his younger brother. There are some gorgeous pictures of the two boys lying on the bed, reading a book. That would definitely qualify as one of his favorite pastimes, but perhaps not the one he loves most of all.

Truth be told, the one thing my son loves doing, seemingly more than anything else, is watching TV. I am sure I must have a picture of him watching TV somewhere, or I could click a picture anytime. But is that an accurate portrait of my son? Sure he watches more TV than I would like him to, but I personally feel that TV is more a habit with him than a passion.

He loves fighting with his brother – kicking, pushing, pulling his hair, having all that done to him and wailing his guts off when it starts hurting. The amount I have to yell at him for getting physical with his brother, I would think that is his favorite pastime. But to be fair to him, he just sees it as a part of the big picture of loving his brother and to call it something he loves doing to do him a great injustice.

He does love his brother a lot, and loves just being with him. Sometimes they are chummy and hug and kiss each other, at times one wants a public display of affection while the other pushes him away, and most of the time they just sit together till one pinches the other and starts off a dogfight. They both love doing it, or do they?

The last couple of weeks, my son has started loving his homework. He feels this tremendous sense of achievement when he manages to write a three letter word in joined handwriting, and he really looks forward to those moments of triumph. I could stick a picture of him writing, but that would seem like sucking upto the teacher, and we wouldn’t want that, would we?

He loves watering plants, loves making sprouts, loves hunting for pretty and not so pretty stones, loves squashing insects, loves making complicated clipo structures, loves shooing away pigeons, loves pretending to be a Power Ranger, loves making up stories about Spiderman, loves eating pomegranates, loves talking about carnivorous animals, loves singing his favourite BoneyM songs, loves the idea of going on coffee meets, loves playing with babies, loves helping people, loves drawing dragons, loves ….. The list is endless, which one should I pick?

My son probably loves running more than anything else. Just running – not running to get anywhere, not running in a race, not running as a part of some game – just plain and simple running. Should I then send in a picture of him running?

He also loves sitting in quiet contemplation – “kabhi, kabhi mujhe chup rehna accha lagta hai”, he once told me. Is that the picture that I should send?


Forty-eight hours of thinking about it, and I still do not know which picture to pick. And I know I never shall – the only sensible thing to do would be to pick a picture with my eyes closed and send that to the teacher.

Isn’t childhood a wonderful time – there are so many things you love doing, and you don’t have enough time to do them all. Why can’t life be a bit more equitable – why can’t adults continue to do the things they loved doing when they were children, and continue to love doing those things? when I was filling up the 5 x 5 thing that is still making the rounds of blogsphere. For the question, 'where would you like to be 5 years hence?', I had written, 'doing and loving at least one thing I am not aware of now'. I guess that wish is in line with me wanting to retain the child in me!



11 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a great post Rayna! I hope you found the perfect picture to send in. Sounds like a great boy you have!

God's blessings to you!
Trudy

dipali said...

I think that I really love reading such delightful posts! Really nice. Which picture did you finally send?

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A most wonderful post, most enjoyable.

Yvonne.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Maybe a picture with the two of you together? Because, at this age (and it hurts me to say it because my 13 year old probably feels differently now), being with you is probably the time he's happiest.

Sueann said...

Do we have to grow up? I think not!! I plan to play and create and laugh and sing out loud!! No growing up for me. And I hope not you or your sons. Stay young and enjoy life! I loved this post. It is so true!! I would love to see the picture you finally sent??!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Unknown said...

Great post, Rayna! My son is in a process of self-discovery too. I love that time. As adults I think we think we don't have the time to just 'fool around' but I think that's sad.

CD

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Why not make a collage of all of those photos and tell the teacher "My son is too complex to be represented in just one shot." - would that work?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A picture of me in front of the TV would've been accurate when I was a kid! I can see why you don't want to use that one, though.

Jan Morrison said...

hmmm...why don't you ask him? Just put a bunch of the pics in front of him and ask "which of these is a picture of you being sooooooo happy?"
what a joy parenting is!

Marjorie said...

I often wish I had the energy I had as a child. I really didn't know what it was a loved most until I was 9. So, your son probably doesn't know what he loves most and if he does it will soon change.

Natasha said...

@ Trudy - I ultimately sent one of him pretending to be Harry Potter - he was smiling in that picture

@ Dipali - thank you. One of him playing dress up

@ Yvonne - thanks

@ Elizabeth - that would have been so wonderful. Wonder why I never thought of it- maybe because I take it for granted

@ SueAnn - it is wonderful to remain a kid at heart, isn't it?

@ Clarissa - fooling around is so much fun, isn't it?

@ Diane - that may well have been the best thing

@ Alex - *snort*
yes, that would fit too

@ Jan - he would not have been able to decide either, I am sure

@ Karen - you are blessed

@ Marjorie - and I hope he keeps loving lots of things, and enjoying life

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails