Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Faith

"Mamma, if I plant this will I get flowers?", asked the older one thrusting a sprig of buds towards me.
"Not if you stick it into a pot", I told him, "but if you keep it in water, it may flower."
"Great!", he said as he filled a bowl with water and placed the buds in it. "Now I will get flowers, and I can give them to my teacher."
His enthusiasm was contagious, but I had to sound a note of caution. "Sweetie", I said, "sometimes, after they are plucked from the plant, buds don’t flower."
"These will flower", he insisted. "You told me they would."
"I said they might flower", I corrected him. "It is possible that they will flower, but they may not. I don’t want you being sad if they don’t flower."
"I know they will flower", he insisted stubbornly.
His faith was touching, but I was scared. I had no experience with that particular flower, and didn’t know if it would flower or not. What if it didn’t? Wouldn’t he be terribly disappointed? Would he ever be able to trust again? I was almost tempted to get a flower and stick it into the bowl when he wasn’t looking.
The first thing he did on waking up the next day was to run to check if the buds had flowered. They hadn’t but he didn’t seem too disappointed. "They will flower tomorrow", he declared.

And they did.

I was thrilled to see the beautiful flower floating in the water. But while my son agreed that the flower was indeed beautiful, he didn’t seem to share my excitement at having it bloom. "But I always knew it would flower", he told me when I asked.

Was it his Faith that made the flower bloom?
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

dipali said...

You never know! Why not replicate his experiment:)

Mason Canyon said...

I'd like to think it was. Faith is a wonderful thing.

Faith Pray said...

I love this photo. What is it about children and faith? Maybe they have bigger eyes than we do.

Ann Elle Altman said...

What a touching story. As to whether or not it was faith, I can't answer that. But the flower is beautiful.

ann

Natasha said...

@ Dipali - for that I need faith, don't I? Unless I do it without faith, but even if I do, I now know, even if I don't believe.

@ Mason - I may not always have faith, but the kids do, and if it works for them, I am not complaining

@ Faith - they do, don't they?

@ Ann - the flower is beautiful, isn't it? I don't normally wear flowers in my hair, but that one, my kid insisted I wear, and I did.... all day long.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

How sweet!
Yes, his Faith made it flower.

Natasha said...

@ Diane - I like to believe so too.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to believe that his faith helped the flower to open. Beautiful.

Natasha said...

@ Fiona - so would I. If we have faith in that, maybe that is exactly what happened?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails