Wednesday, October 2, 2013

They thrive on neglect


When we moved homes, I had dozens to things on my head. Get the school bus sorted out. Ensure the carpenter finishes all the jobs before leaving. Find someone to deliver milk and newspapers. Sort through the junk accumulated over years, and keep only what you need. What didn’t figure on my list was watering the plants. Tomorrow I’ll water them, I resolved every night- that tomorrow never came. The plants wilted, but they waited for me. And when I started watering them, they perked up and rewarded me with new leaves.

Plants are funny. Sometimes, they thrive on neglect.

______
This is the fifth year that I am going to be a part of NaBloWriM. The writing mojo seems to have deserted me, but by elaborating either on a quote that touches my heart, or by attempting to capture a fleeting emotion, let me see how long I last.

4 comments:

Coleen Brooks said...

You are so right about plants. Mine start wilting. I water them, and new growth appears. This is a good thing.

Deb R said...

I need to remember that...
"Plants thrive on neglect." I like that!

Once when I was watering my plants, my husband exclaimed, "Why are you teasing those poor plants!?"

Perhaps husbands can thrive on neglect, too! ;)

Danette said...

I have a plant that I have neglected that is not doing so well. I am afraid I have neglected it to death.

Anonymous said...

Natasha - Sometimes plants do that. They lie dormant until someone pays attention to them. It's as though they've saved it up...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails