Saturday, January 7, 2012

A livelihood at home


Over 20 million people squeezed into a tiny city. Extended families living in houses smaller than a garage- every inch of floor space covered with sleeping bodies at night. No running water, nor dedicated sanitary blocks. A road network so inadequate it takes hours to commute 20 miles to work. The most overloaded public transportation system in the world- it is a miracle how so many people squeeze into so little space. And yet, people keep migrating to Bombay.

Will a time ever come when people from rural India aren’t forced to migrate to cities to earn enough to survive?

_____

The Bandra-Worli Sealink is an architectural delight. But the toll is so high, and the approach so crowded, few people even think of taking it. Couldn't the money have been used better? This picture forms a part of my Pictoral Flashback of 2011.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I often think a country's funds are not put to the best use. It seems India is no different. Someday there will be people in leadership positions who actually look at the logic and the best interest of the people before making decisions.

Kittie Howard said...

I read your drabble several times, and, quite honestly, don't know what to say as the core of what you wrote is such a myriad of complex issues (which is the beauty of your drabble - I love how you make me think.) I've been to Bombay and understand what you're saying - but, I think, yes, the time will come when the migrations will at least slow. India is now out-sourcing much of what's out-sourced to India. India's got some amazing schools and an energetic labor pool. The force is definitely with India. Patience!

Tina said...

I've missed you! My fault. Life took over and blogging got left in the dust! But I'm back!
Like Kittie said, your drabbles always make me think.
I've never been to India, but actually several of my friends have. Seems like your country has many contrasts, including this one you wrote about. There are never easy answers to "big" problems, regardless of which country we're talking about.
Tina @ Life is Good
P.S
I'm co-hosting the April A-Z challenge! We have a dedicated blog this year which you'll find <a href="http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/>here</a>.

Tina said...

Let's try that link again...
April A to Z Blogging Challenge

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails