Thursday, February 24, 2011

Get Running # 5 : Keep at It

[People often tell me they would love to run, but can't. This is the fifth in a series of drabbles which, I hope, will get at least a couple of people who think they can't run, running.]


So you can run for two minutes, and want to run a longer race? Smile! You are almost there- the hard part is getting started, now all you have do is keep at it.

Run-walk-run-walk-run in five minute intervals. That's the key.

Run for one minute. Walk for four. Run for one. Walk for four. Keep doing it for twenty minutes. Running gets progressively harder in each interval, but don't give up.

Rest for a day, then repeat. Rest again, then repeat, but increase the running time by 15 seconds, and reduce the walking time correspondingly.

You are almost there.

_____
drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

Other drabbles in the series-

Get Running # 1 : The Simple Joy of Running
Get Running # 2 : Everyone can Run
Get Running # 3 : Start Running
Get Running # 4 : Embrace the Pain
Get Running # 6 : You are A Runner

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rayna - Thanks for this important reminder that getting anything accomplished requires patience, small steps and perseverance. Coming back the next day - repeating - is what's really important.

LTM said...

I love to run, and I was just thinking the other day how long-distance running prepares for so many things in life that require patience and persistence. Determination.

(((big hug))) to my running friend~ <3 :o)

Jen said...

Great, great running advice. Once it gets warmer here, I'm going to dust off my old running shoes and give this a whirl! Thanks a bunch :D

Hope all is well,
Jen

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

I write much the same way you describe running here.
Great series.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll try some very gentle jogging to see how my knee holds up ... well, after the ice and snow has disappeared.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Makes it seem so easy!

Oddyoddyo13 said...

Whew-I'm exhausted just hearing it. I raced a kid today on our daily run in gym-didn't beat him. I'll get him next time though. :)

Jan Morrison said...

OK - I love it but I'm not going to do it! I am doing the same or similar in a pool though. Better for my arthritic hip. I swim a bunch of laps then sauna and keep increasing daily...
It is like training a dog - consistancy and kindness are the two requirements!

Unknown said...

You make it sound so easy. But, I believe you're right.

Natasha said...

@ Margot - most things require practice, and diligence, don't they? Talent helps, but the other two are more important.

@ Leigh- absolutely. Someone had once said that if you run and read, you have won the battle called life- running keeps you going, reading teaches you to think.

@ Jen - not enough hours, that's all. And yes, you just have to start and you can run.

@ Mary - really? Wow!

@ Fiona - most people are able to jog. I am sure you would too. After all, you have all the practice running after kids.

@ Alex - it is. Yes!

@ Oddyoddyo13 - unless you are a sprinter, why get into a race? I tried it once, and the body took a long time forgiving me.

@ Jan - consistancy and kindness- that's a much nicer combination.

@ Clarissa - it is easy. If you want to.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails