Saturday, December 20, 2008

Underwater creatures

Not yet three, my son brought home from school this underwater scene.
"Who are these people", I asked, pretty sure he would not know the names.
"Octopus, Starfish, Fish, Dolphin", he answered, pointing correctly.
I pointed to the last creature, "And this?", I asked, quite sure he would not know.
"Sea horse", he said, his voice making amply clear what he throught of people who could not even identify that really familiar creature.
None of this I ever knew till I was in my pre-teens, but my numbers and alphabets I knew much better than either of my sons do.

Drabble (n) - an extremely short work exactly one hundred words in length. The purpose of the drabble is brevity and to test the author's ability to express interesting and meaningful ideas in an extremely confined space.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Bubbly Bala said...

If only these schools didnt force alphabets and numbers in such a stupid way I am sure your kids would be as good as you were if not better I am really worried that Rayan ,an otherwise bright boy does not enjoy doing Maths the way you did as a child.Naman may not have that problem because he will hopefully study in the same school and hence progress in the same system.I really cant understand why they have to complicate everything under the pretext of simplifying it.As a teacher I am disgusted with what is going on in schools these days..

Natasha said...

I wish schools realise that laying a foundation in maths and language is far more important than concepts. If they can integrate the two, great. If not, they should concentrate on teaching the skills that enabled our primary education system to be one of the best in the world.
Our kids still learn a lot more than kids in the States, but that is not really the yardstick we should be applying, is it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails