Monday, March 31, 2014

A word a day, in the month of April

Two years back, for my A to Z blogging project, I had chosen to attempt to capture the "Soul" of a word from the Indian language in 100 words. After thinking of various projects, I've decided to continue with the same project this year too. So, everyday during the month of April, prepare yourself to learn a new word.
To explain why I chose this project, I am going back to what I posted this day, two years ago.


If you are born and brought up in India, you are multi-lingual out of necessity. By the time I was four, I was fluent in three languages- English, the language of instruction; Tamil, which was spoken at home; and Hindi, reserved for conversations with the “help”.
Over the years, I acquired new languages and forgot old ones. But every one of those languages left behind a legacy of words. Words that almost defy translation. Words that have nuances that can only be described. Where the “Soul” goes beyond the word itself. Words that need over 100 words to be captured.

4 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

Natashah - Oh, I am so excited you're doing this! It's an excellent way to share a language and a culture. I'm looking forward to learning!

Jan Morrison said...

I'll be by dear pal -sorry I've been so absent here in the bloggy world. Think of you often.

Kathe W. said...

oh goody goody- looking forward to your A-Z! Cheers and have fun!

Spacerguy said...

Its fascinating knowing foreign geekspeak is laced with english.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails